Five reasons the Humble Bundle model is unique
The Humble Bundle is a pioneer of the pay what you want model for buying digital media. The way it works is pretty simple: you see a bundled group of items, and choose what price you think it's worth. Then you get to download the bundled goodies as many times as you want. Depending on how much you chose to pay, you can unlock bonus content, too. The items in the Humble store include not only video games, but also a variety of digital media, such as eBooks, audiobooks, movies, and music. What sets the Humble Bundle approach apart from other online video game and digital media retailers?
- Digital game keys for cross-platform use: when you purchase the bundle online from the Humble store, you get access to the download for a variety of platforms, such as PC, Mac, mobile apps, Linux, etc. This is convenient for people who own a variety of devices, or who might choose to switch from one operating system to another (like going from Android to iOS), and don't want to have to repurchase all their digital media for their new system. Access to digital game keys is also handy if you suffer from an unexpected hard drive crash!
- Donate to charity: not only do you choose what amount to pay for your bundle, you get to choose what percentage of your price goes to charity. The charity varies from bundle to bundle, and you can choose exactly which percentage you'd like to donate each time.
- Weekly offers make it fun to return to the site: you'll always find something new there at least once a week, and they never sell exactly the same bundle twice. This also provides an extra incentive for customers to purchase each bundle, since the goodies you want might not be there next time.
- Themed bundles: when there's a game in a bundle that really appeals to you, chances are, the other games included will interest you as well, since the bundles will follow a common theme.
- Discover new media: new and lesser-known indie media gets bundled along with the more famous game or book that's the main draw to each bundle. Many people find that the bundled content that they hadn't heard of before turns out to be their favorite part of the bundle.