A new generation of computer games
PC gaming is an extremely popular pastime, enjoyed by millions of people around the world, and the possibilities include everything from classic games to massively multiplayer online roleplaying games (MMPORGs), which feature incredibly intricate virtual landscapes. Many avid PC gamers build specialized computers with top-of-the-line graphics cards and processors that support a seamless, real-time gaming experience. If you want to take full advantage of the exciting world of modern PC gaming, you should familiarize yourself with the complete range of hardware and software options on the market.
PC Gaming Hardware
To get the most out of today's computer games, here are some of the essential pieces of hardware you should add to your system:
- Graphics cards. When you purchase a gaming computer, you need to do two things. First, make sure that its motherboard supports the addition of a non-default graphics card. Second, explore your graphics card options very carefully. The better your graphics card, the more enjoyable your overall gaming experience and system capabilities will be. If you're going to choose one type of card to invest in, make it a graphics card. Your system's default sound card will perform adequately in most cases.
- Processors. Avid PC gamers recommend that you get a processor with a speed of at least 3.5 gigahertz (GHz) to optimize performance when you're playing media-rich games in real time.
- Cooling systems. PC gaming tends to require your system to run continuously for an extended period of time, which generates heat that can damage your system's hardware. Thus, many gaming computers are outfitted with advanced cooling systems that help safely eliminate the heat generated by using the computer for hours on end. Fans and liquid cooling systems are the two major options, but both come with limitations and drawbacks. Fans are inexpensive, but they can be very noisy, while liquid cooling systems are silent and extremely efficient, but can cause major problems if they break down.
- RAM. The more random access memory (RAM) your computer has available, the faster it will be able to process tasks and the smoother it will run. This is essential when you're in the throes of a media-rich MMPORG, especially if you're connecting online in real time with other players around the world.
An Overview of Available PC Games
In addition to newly-developed titles which leverage advanced contemporary technology as part of the gaming landscape, PC gamers can enjoy a virtually endless library of classic titles and retro video games. Online, and through emulators, you can play just about any video game title ever released in its original version, or in adapted versions. Strategy games and highly realistic simulation games are also widely available for PCs, while gaming consoles have yet to really bridge the gap when it comes to these popular gaming genres.
Why Choose PC Gaming?
PC gaming offers several unique advantages over console gaming, including:
- Titles. With a gaming console, you are largely confined to the offerings released specifically for the console of your choice, and the only way to expand your list of available titles is to add expensive, specialized software. With PC gaming, you can access a virtually endless list of gaming titles on the Internet, including everything from popular contemporary games to classic favorites and rare, forgotten favorites.
- System customization. With PC gaming, you are able to customize your gaming experience to a far greater degree than you can on any of the major gaming consoles.
- Upgradability. When you choose a gaming console, the only way to upgrade your system is to buy the newest version of the console, and it can take years for manufacturers to release updated systems. PC gaming allows you to upgrade individual components on an as-needed basis, ensuring that you can always stay current.