Cloud gaming through Kalydo
Kalydo is a cloud computing video game service provider that permits users running low-bandwidth Internet connections to access a unique library of video games with relatively short wait times. Headquartered in the Dutch city of Eindhoven, Kalydo was established in 2006 and has been live on the Internet since 2008. Currently, Kalydo is available in 15 countries around the world and claims to attract more than 5 million gameplays per calendar month.
Given the low bandwidth requirements for file streaming technologies, Kalydo is heavily invested in developing markets where gamers tend to have slower Internet connections. However, the service is also available to users with faster Internet connections. The company has won over many loyal customers, thanks to its "clear pricing" policies which offer users access to the company's full library of games for a fixed, affordable monthly rate.
How the File Streaming Model Works
Kalydo has differentiated itself from competitors like OnLive by distributing games through the file-streaming cloud gaming model, rather than the video-streaming cloud gaming model. In the video-streaming model, the games are not played on the user's computer, but are rather hosted on servers which then relay information back to the end user's computer over the Internet. The file-streaming model actually runs the game on the end user's device, using a type of technology known as a "thin client."
Here's how it works:
- You access a game title from the Kalydo game library and watch a demonstration.
- If you decide you like the title, you can go ahead and begin your download.
- Once a small portion of the download is complete (usually between about 5 and 10 percent), you will be eligible to begin playing the game.
- As you play, the remainder of the game is downloaded and automatically installed on your computer using the thin client.
- This allows you to play the game seamlessly, in real time, without lag, despite the fact that the entire game is not actually on your computer when you begin.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Kalydo's Service
Kalydo's file-streaming model offers certain advantages over the video-streaming gaming models used by OnLive and similar companies. These advantages include:
- The ability to play even media-rich premium titles over a low-bandwidth Internet connection
- The physical presence of the actual game files on your computer, once the download completes
- Affordability and access to an extremely broad range of titles
However, there is a downside to the Kalydo model. Video streaming does not require that the end user's computer actually be capable of performing the processing tasks related to playing the game. You don't need high-end hardware to play high-end games that place extreme demands on the system's capabilities. In the video-streaming model, these tasks are all carried out on the gaming company's servers and relayed to your computer over the Internet.
With the file-streaming model, your computer does need to be capable of actually running the game, since your computer is hosting it. Even though you can begin to play games on a low-bandwidth Internet connection fairly quickly, your computer needs higher-end hardware.
Kalydo's Game Titles
Right now, Kalydo's library is relatively small. Current titles and their availabilities include:
- Order of Magic (available worldwide)
- Remnant Knights (worldwide)
- Godswar (United States, Southeast Asia, European Union)
- Crazy Car (European Union, United States)
- LastChaos (European Union)
- Formula Cartoon (United States)
- Runes of Magic (European Union, United States)
- Speed Kingdom (China)
- Emil Chronicle Online (Japan)
- Cube Kingdom (worldwide)
- Nostale (European Union, Russia, Turkey)
- SoulCaptor Online (European Union, United States)
Look for more titles to be added as the service continues to attract gamers and generate more revenue for game development and digital distribution deals.